I got this recipe via Goop. It is from an Ayurvedic Spa and is made for detox. This is so easy, and filling and perfect for when you want something nourishing and light. I make it often. It’s great for Kapha dosha (but because coconut is quite heavy and difficult to digest, people with Kapha constitutions should use it sparingly.) – CM
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 cup organic yellow split mung bean dal or organic yellow split lentils
- 3 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add spices and cook for one minute, or until fragrant. Add cilantro, sauté another 30 seconds, then add lentils, water, and the ¼ teaspoon of salt.
2. Bring the mixture up to a boil, boil for five minutes, then turn heat to very low and cover with the lid, leaving it slightly ajar.
3. Simmer over very low heat for 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Season to taste with salt if desired.
Originally featured in The 2016 goop Detox